As covered entities, hospices and home care providers are required to manage patients’ electronic protected health information (EPHI) and paper-based medical records in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy and security rules. Noncompliance can lead to substantial fines (up to $1.5 million for privacy breaches), negative publicity, compromised patients, unhappy families, and damaged reputations. Does your organization lawfully manage electronic and traditional PHI? Have you established policies and strategies to ensure HIPAA compliance? Are your business associates, including physicians and subcontractors, in compliance? Join us to learn about records risks, policies, and compliance management best practices for hospices and home care providers.
Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits.
- What is EPHI?
- What constitutes paper-based PHI?
- HIPAA risks, rules, and compliance
- What does HIPAA’s privacy rule demand of providers’ electronic and paper-based information?
- Strategies for complying with HIPAA’s security rule governing EPHI
- Patients’ privacy rights under HIPAA
- Responding to patients’ requests for access to PHI
- Best practices for securing EPHI
- How social media, texts, and email maximize EPHI and HIPAA risks – and how to shore up security breaches
- Implementing strategic, best-practices-based policies governing PHI, privacy, and security
- Supporting compliance with employee training
- Lawfully responding to an EPHI security breach
- Best-in-class technology solutions to safeguard electronic information and privacy
- Real-life disaster stories: costly consequences of EPHI mismanagement and security breaches
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Checklist: Seven Steps for HIPAA Compliance
- Social media rules: Guidelines for Creating Effective Social Media Policy
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is a must for compliance officers, lawyers, record managers, IT staff, human resources personnel, privacy officers, directors, and administrators.
PLEASE NOTE: Webinar content is subject to copyright and intended for your individual organization’s use only.
MEET THE PRESENTER
Nancy Flynn, Founder & Executive Director
The ePolicy Institute™ & Business Writing Institute™